Principal Engineer - Gas Transmission
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Viewed as the technical engineer or subject matter expert for the organization in the application of advanced natural gas theories, concepts, principles, and processes for an assigned area of responsibility (i.e., subject matter, function, type of facility, equipment, or product). Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts. Problems must be approached through a series of complex and conceptually related studies, are difficult to define, require unconventional or innovative approaches, and require sophisticated research techniques. Responsible for major projects or several complex projects of moderate to large scope. Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications. Maintains contacts with individuals and units within and outside the corporation for action on technical matters. Works under consultative direction toward broad general goals and objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior. May provide work direction for a team of engineers, technicians, and other professionals as necessary to complete assignments. This includes evaluation of work progress and results/feedback to supervisors on performance. May lead multiple critical and/or complex projects.
- Applies extensive technical expertise and has a higher-level understanding of the basic principles of other related disciplines. Fully demonstrates the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level by applying advanced technical principles, theories and concepts, and contributes to the development of new principles, concepts and technical standards. Fully demonstrates unique technical skills.
- As a recognized internal technical SME, conceives plans and conducts research to develop procedures, codes and standards in problem areas of considerable scope and complexity and supports the development of technical documentation through a series of complex and conceptually related studies requiring unconventional or innovative approaches.
- Exercises authority and technical leadership on assignments that are often self-initiated and self-directed. Assignments are strategic and have significant long-term implications to achievement of overall business objectives.
- May lead multiple critical and/or complex projects including research, design, equipment specification & selection, installation, start-up, commissioning and evaluation of work progress and results.
- Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications. Manages bid/evaluation processes which include the preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals and the review and approval of recommendations for selection.
- Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Is influential in all forms of communications with internal and external business.
- May provide oversight of engineers, interns, craft personnel, technicians and other professionals. Forms mentoring relationships with less experienced engineers for the transfer of knowledge and continuous self-development of technical skills and competencies. Demonstrates effective leadership skills.
- May provide overall coordination of processes related to budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, and work order management, in support of existing engineering projects or packaging proposals for future projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 9+ years of relevant engineering experience
- PE (Professional Engineer) registration
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
- Prior field experience acting as technical lead for all phases of a project(s) from design through construction and in servicing.
- Experience leading teams in all phases of design, engineering, procurement, and construction to ensure compliance with federal codes and standards.
- Experience mentoring engineering staff and developing design standards and processes for the natural gas organization.
- Experience working on natural gas projects and emergency response.
- Experience building and editing natural gas procedures.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.Non-BargainingThe anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $104,000.00 to $145,332.33 per yearThis position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Pay and benefit packages may vary based on position. Some employees are under collective bargaining agreements, which determine the benefits they will receive. If the information conflicts with the terms of the written plan documents governing the plan, the plan document will control. Benefit plans are subject to change and Xcel Energy has the right to end, suspend, or amend any of its plans, at any time, in whole or in part.
Xcel Energy endeavors to make https://www.xcelenergy.com/ accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Xcel Energy Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.