Reliability Engineering Renewables Intern - MN, CO, WI
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Xcel Energy has an opportunity for Engineering Interns to expand their knowledge and work with our Reliability Engineering team. Interns will work with the engineering staff to support the reliable and efficient operation of Xcel Energy’s renewable generation assets including wind farms, solar farms, and hydroelectric plants. Specific duties (described below) will depend on the position as there will be multiple positions focused on mechanical systems and performance, electrical/controls/cyber security, and hydroelectric generation.
In general, you will work as an entry-level engineer performing various tasks that enhance the reliability, safety, and performance of the systems. Example focus areas may include:
- Wind turbine mechanical systems troubleshooting and problem resolution
- High voltage electrical systems
- Data Analytics
- Data validation and retrieval
- Technical report writing, review, and presentations.
- Understanding and supporting Dam Safety principles and requirements
- Hydroelectric plant systems and components
- Industry research and collaborative studies
The applicant should demonstrate an innate curiosity to learn and take the initiative in a wide variety of projects involving Xcel Energy’s renewable generating fleet. Through practical field experience and mentoring, the candidate will gain insight and experience in the growing fields of renewable energy and data analytics.
Please note: This is a paid internship to support renewable generating facilities (including wind farms, solar farms, and hydro plants in Minnesota, Colorado, & and Wisconsin). Relocation, housing, and living expenses will NOT BE PROVIDED. Expect to cover living expenses on your own. Preference will be given to candidates majoring in mechanical, aerospace, electrical, civil, or structural engineering in their junior year. Preference is given to candidates able to work full-time (30 hours/week) during the summer with the ability to work part-time (10-20 hours/week) during the school year.
The candidates hired for the wind engineering internship positions should be prepared to spend time in the field at various wind facilities. Must be able to commute to the work site(s) with your own transportation.
Option 1: Mechanical/Aerospace/Wind Turbine Data Analytics
Work with the engineering staff to support wind farm data analytics projects and R&D efforts. An ideal candidate can apply statistical techniques to analyze time-series data and present useful conclusions as reports and PowerPoint slides. Candidate demonstrates an innate curiosity to learn new data analysis tools and methods and takes initiative in R&D projects involving Xcel’s wind turbines. Through data mining and practical field experience, the candidate will gain insight and experience in the exciting field of wind turbine data analytics.
Preferred skills and knowledge
- Coursework in applied physics, mathematics, fluid dynamics, and wind energy-related topics.
- Proficiency using Python, MATLAB, or any other programming languages for data analysis.
Option 2: Electrical/Controls
Work with the engineering staff to support wind farm projects and operations. Work as an entry-level engineer performing various tasks primarily related to SCADA & and data analytics functions at wind farms. Duties may include computer, server, software, and network maintenance, data validation and retrieval, and technical report writing and review.
Preferred skills and knowledge
- Coursework in applied physics, mathematics, fluid dynamics, wind energy-related topics, computer networking, programmable logic controllers, and data science
- Proficiency using R, PowerShell, and Windows Server
Option 3 – Dams and Hydroelectric focused. Civil/Structural/Mechanical (1 position)
The position is in Hydro Operations in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Work with the engineering staff to support hydroelectric plant projects and operations. Work as an entry-level engineering analyst performing various tasks primarily related to dam safety and hydro operations. Duties may include construction observation, dam safety inspections, plans and specifications review, risk evaluation, emergency action planning, and technical report writing and review. Through practical field experience and mentoring, successful candidates will gain significant professional and technical skills. Prefer coursework in structural, geotechnical, or water resources engineering and an interest in dam safety and hydropower.
- Must be enrolled in an ABET-accredited Engineering program.
- Junior or higher as of January 2024.
- Recent graduates and students graduating in Spring 2024 are not eligible for this opportunity.
- Must be able to commit to the internship for 6-8 months.
- Able to work up to 30 hours/week in the summer and 10-20 hours/week during the school year.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be within commutable distance from the assigned work location (MN/CO/TX).
- Ability to communicate effectively; both in writing and verbally.
- Must be self-motivated, have good technical skills, and can work well with others.
- Submit a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript with the application.
Preferred skills and knowledge
Varies by specific position:
- Coursework in applied physics, mathematics, fluid dynamics, wind energy-related topics, computer networking, programmable logic controllers, and data science.
- Proficiency using Python, MATLAB, R, PowerShell, and Windows Server.
- Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Civil, or Structural Engineering degrees.
- Coursework in structural, geotechnical, or water resources engineering and an interest in dam safety and hydropower.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.Non-BargainingThe anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $22.50 to $30.10 per hourThis position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays
Pay and benefit packages may vary based on position. Some employees are under collective bargaining agreements, which determine the benefits they will receive. If the information conflicts with the terms of the written plan documents governing the plan, the plan document will control. Benefit plans are subject to change and Xcel Energy has the right to end, suspend, or amend any of its plans, at any time, in whole or in part.
Xcel Energy endeavors to make https://www.xcelenergy.com/ accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Xcel Energy Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.