Nurse (Detoxification and Withdrawal Mgmt)
- Basic Function
The current vacancies are in the Detoxification and Withdrawal Management department. The eligibility list created by this vacancy may be used to hire other vacancies in the department or County.Covid 19
All job offers are conditioned on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine authorized for emergency use or FDA-approved. You will be required to show proof of vaccination on or before your first day of employment and complete a form certifying that you are vaccinated. Religious and medical exemptions or reasonable accommodations will be considered upon request as required by applicable law.
To assess, prescribe, perform, and document independent nursing practices at Lake Owasso Residence, Ramsey County Detoxification and Withdrawal Management Center and Mental Health Division of Social Services, or under the direction of a Public Health Nurse; to perform and document dependent functions such as carrying out the physician's medical orders; to assist physicians with diagnostic and treatment procedures; to provide a safe and therapeutic environment for a variety of patients; to coordinate, communicate, interpret, and explain patient care services to the patient, the patient's family, health professionals and important others; and perform related duties as assigned.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this position, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
- Examples of Work Performed
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
- Monitor patient's condition by documenting vital signs, observe monitoring equipment, take blood pressure, note intake and output, observe patient behavior, and take emergency or corrective action.
- Provide physical comfort to patients through bathing, positioning, administering pain medications as ordered by the physician, and providing bed pans.
- Assist physician with diagnostic procedures such as x-rays and laboratory tests, by positioning patient, explaining the procedures and drawing blood.
- Provide emotional support to patients and their families by listening to them, encouraging expression of their feelings, and explaining treatment procedures.
- Administer prescribed treatments such as wound care, catheter, tracheotomy, colostomy, ileostomy and gastrostomy care.
- Educate patients by instructing them about ordered tests, procedures and medications, home care, and explain and demonstrate the types of equipment and instruments used in the procedures.
- Assess and triage nursing needs of patients by observation and interview in order to identify problems, symptoms, and physical, behavioral, and psychological alterations and/or changes.
- Prescribe nursing interventions based on assessment for patient care needs related to mobility, rest and sleep, pain and comfort, ventilation, nutrition, elimination, skin integrity, emotional support, and psychological orientation.
- Provide direct nursing care to patients by performing care measures such as , positioning, ambulating, range of motion; perform technical skills such as measuring blood pressures, temperature, pulse, respiration; observe monitoring equipment and make judgements about the physiological parameters being measured; initiate, maintain and monitor intravenous therapy; provide maintenance and troubleshooting for patients on mechanical ventilators; perform cardiac output measurements; administer medications and evaluate their effectiveness and/or side effects/adverse reactions; perform emergency measures such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Document observations, interventions, and evaluations of all nursing care provided.
- Educate patients by instructing them about ordered tests, procedures, and medications; how to carry out their continued care after discharge including use of prescribed equipment, give self-injections and reinforce/clarify the knowledge they have about their disease process.
- Act as a patient advocate, facilitate resourceful utilization of health care services, equipment and supplies and identify problems that may be appropriately referred to the patient representative.
- Develop and write nursing care plans, write nursing orders. Assess patients' mental and physical status and provide nursing diagnoses.
- Make immediate decisions in case of emergency and notify physicians, paramedics, fire department or other assistance as needed.
- Provide specific information to patients regarding the process and treatment of chemical dependency.
- Provide health assessment, management and triage services for patients receiving detoxification services.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this description and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: As required for licensure.
Certifications/Licensure: Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse by State of Minnesota or have a permit to practice professional nursing by the Minnesota Board of Nursing (Applicants who qualify based on a permit are subject to the limitations prescribed by the Minnesota Board of Nursing.)
- Exam/Screening Process Information
The examination process will consist of the following section with each section weighted as indicated: The examination for Nurse will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the training and experience rating. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on your answers to the questions – do not mark “see resume” or “see work history” as a response. Please answer all your questions clearly and completely. Failure to respond could affect your score and final rank on this examination.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who filed a properly completed application and passed the examination/screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for an employment opportunity as a-Nurse. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to conduct interviews to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for two of months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list. The department may choose to interview any candidate on the eligible list.
Veteran's Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
In addition, you may be subject to one or more of the following:
- Department of Human Services (DHS) Background Check
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs, and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, familial or marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance status, place of residence, political affiliation, or national origin. Ramsey County is deeply committed to advancing racial equity and promoting diversity and inclusion within all areas of our workforce.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print this posting and answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them with your completed paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please Ahmed Mumin Ahmed.Mumin@ramseycounty.us