Are you looking to feel valued at a company?
General Mills, Inc. manufactures some of the most beloved foods in the world, including Cheerios and Lucky Charms, Nature Valley granola bars, Totino's pizza rolls, and Yoplait yogurt. Blue Buffalo became part of General Mills in 2018, so even your pets love us too.
We are looking for team members who come to the table with a shared passion for making food the world loves, to solve problems and shape General Mills for the future. As a part of our manufacturing group, you will be responsible for performing specific preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, mechanical and electrical repair, and other tasks and techniques to keep refrigeration systems in operational conditions to meet production, refrigeration, storage, and shipping needs.
General Mills encourages growth for our employees; if you want to learn new things, attain and prove competency quickly, and apply technology in the manufacturing space; GMI is a great place to start.
Ammonia Refrigeration Technician
An Ammonia Refrigeration Technical Level Operator provides technical leadership of the repair, operation, maintenance, and installation of industrial ammonia systems and equipment. Provides technical and problem-solving support for the plant and maintenance crews. Supports and develops others to drive continuous improvement of their technical and leadership capabilities. Committed to human and food safety. Consistently ensures the ammonia refrigeration team delivers on short- and long-term assignments. Assures production schedules are met and all issues are resolved and communicated in a timely fashion. Inspects operating machines and equipment for conformance with operational standards. Executes preventive and/or predictive maintenance programs. This position is responsible for supporting regulatory compliance of all elements of the Ammonia Refrigeration Management (ARM) or OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM) Program and EPA Risk Management Plan (RMP) at the facility.
What your compensation will look like:
- $40.00 per hour
- 15 days (120 hours) of vacation annually and 11 paid company holidays
- Great paid time off benefits
- 401(k) match
- Health Insurance- Includes medical, dental, vision, and life
- AND much more!
What your day will look like:
- Creating high quality foods that are eaten EVERYDAY, NATIONWIDE
- Using TECHNOLOGY in an industry-leading facility
- Working with HIGH-LEVEL operators on EXPERIENCED teams that are looking to pass down their knowledge to workers WILLING TO LEARN and get paid doing it
CHALLENGING yourself to get the JOB DONE RIGHT and gain skills to take with you to your next opportunity
- Troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing manufacturing and refrigeration equipment or systems
- Performing daily rounds/checks of ammonia system
- Providing technical support and plant leadership for refrigeration equipment troubleshooting and modification
- Learning, following, and engaging in Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Performing both uptime and downtime preventative maintenance
- Participate in Continuous Improvement initiatives to increase platform performance
- Assist in training new employees
What your schedule will look like: Currently hiring on Day Shift
- 8-hour shifts
- Ability and willingness to work overtime, any shift, including days, nights, weekends, holidays and emergency events
- Plant operation is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
What your growth will look like:
- Be a part of a team that will learn and grow
- Develop leadership skills, that will allow you to focus on new KNOWLEDGE and ability to adopt and implement those ideas
- Ability to operate within a safety culture
- Expanded technical capabilities
What you have to offer:
- Minimum of a high school education or GED
- Working knowledge of industrial ammonia refrigeration
- Working knowledge of 120/240/480 volt systems, HVAC, pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- CIRO (Certified Industrial Refrigeration Operator) – is a high-level certified operator, having passed the RETA CIRO exam, demonstrating the ability to operate and oversee the operation of an industrial refrigeration system
- Pass a plant specific written test and technical level hands on demonstrations.
- 3-5 years of industrial ammonia refrigeration operation and service experience
- Experience with computerized maintenance management systems
- HAZWOPER Hazardous Materials Technician (24 hour) certification and fit tested for respirator and SCBA
- Experience in a manufacturing/production environment preferred
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Must be able to perform physical tasks for extended periods of time including standing, walking, climbing, bending, pushing, pulling, and twisting over surfaces
- Ability to climb and/or work at heights while utilizing stairs, ladders, personnel lifts, or platforms
- Ability to wear protective clothing and equipment such as safety shoes, face masks, safety glasses, hearing protection, a hard hat, a hair/beard net, and gloves when required
- Willing and able to adhere to all grooming requirements necessary for a food manufacturing environment
- Ability to work in hot, cold, noisy, dusty, wet environmental working conditions
- Willing to work around industrial high-speed moving machinery
- Ability to work with allergens that might be present in a food environment
- Need to be able to work in a tobacco free environment
The health and safety of our employees – and the food we make – is our top priority. We were an early adopter in instituting protection measures in our plants during the pandemic and continue to implement a number of safety precautions to protect our employees.
We exist to make food the world loves. But we do more than that. Our company is a place that prioritizes being a force for good, a place to expand learning, explore new perspectives and reimagine new possibilities, every day. We look for people who want to bring their best — bold thinkers with big hearts who challenge one other and grow together. Because becoming the undisputed leader in food means surrounding ourselves with people who are hungry for what’s next.