The Associate Plant Technical Manager (APTM) is responsible for assisting the Plant Technical Manager (PTM) in providing the technical expertise and technical leadership to deliver results for the plant and the businesses it supports. The APTM role is a developmental role to prepare for leadership as a PTM upon completion of the program. Development areas will be customized to the need of the APTM and would cover leadership areas such as maintenance, system engineering, project engineering, Zero Loss Culture and people leadership. The APTM will have salaried direct reports as part of their responsibilities.
This role reports directly to the site PTM and has dotted line engineering accountability to the North America Retail Region Engineering Leader at our HQ office in Minneapolis.
- Development of site strategic plan for technical staffing, capital investment, general competencies, and system/technology improvements
- Coaching, mentoring, and development of plant technical resources
- Accountability for management of external technical relationships with A/E firms, contractors, and equipment vendors
- Provide technical leadership and site compliance with EPA and OSHA requirements in concert with designated functional experts
- Provide site leadership to achieve maximization/optimization of capital assets and site utilization as well as lead safety initiatives in technical areas
- Champion progression to zero using the tools, processes, and standards as defined in the Zero Loss Culture guidebook
Capital Planning & Execution
- Develop short term and long-range capital investment plans for facility and be accountable for the planning and execution of all projects
- Responsible for the capital investment process for the site (e.g. standards, project management, capital approval, etc.).
Vertical Start Up/Continuous Improvement/Zero Loss Culture
- Develop and support strategies that integrate VSU, CI and Zero Loss Culture methodologies into the Master Plan
- Provide leadership for the application of Zero Loss Culture to meet business objectives
- Provide site leadership for technical solutions to operational problems including systems optimization, debottlenecking, and troubleshooting
- Accountable for the strategy, design and implementation of control systems and manufacturing information systems
Maintenance & Reliability
- Coach and develop Maintenance and Facilities Manager to improve maintenance systems in alignment with Zero Loss Culture . Provide strategy and support for maintenance programs, development of tools and resources, personnel selection, training, and development.
- Integrate Maintenance into the strategy for the broader technical community at the plant
- Ensure the proper selection, training, development, and motivation of leaders to maximize current and future performance.
- Lead and support plant continuous improvement initiatives.
- Bachelors Degree in engineering degree or related degree with applicable experience OR Associates Degree + 5+ years of relevant experience in leiu of the bachelors degree.
- Minimum of 6 years technical experience in project engineering, systems or process engineering, facilities management, or technical discipline engineering in a manufacturing environment with maintenance experience
- Strong track record of engineering aptitude, ability to apply engineering principles, and problem solving
- Strong leadership skills, including experience leading others in projects or programs, and the ability to successfully interact with individuals representing other areas or interests and the ability to manage team leaders & mechanics
- Understanding and experience interacting with multiple business functions, including Quality Control, Purchasing, Distribution, Human Resources, Finance and especially Operations
- Ability to identify potential business solutions involving a broad scope of thinking across businesses and functions to develop new innovation
- Unwavering commitment to food, human, and environmental safety as always the number 1 priority
- Engineering degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering (ABET)
- Experience directly leading maintenance teams & a team of engineers
- Experience with industrial and/or labor relations from working in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of and experience with manufacturing improvement methodologies such as Six Sigma, TPM, CI, Zero Loss Culture, or Lean Manufacturing
The salary range for this position is $104700.00 - $157200.00 / Annually. At General Mills we strive for each employee's pay at any point in their career to reflect their experiences performance and skills for their current role. The salary range for this role represents the numerous factors considered in the hiring decisions including, but not limited to, educations, skills, work experience, certifictions, etc. As such, pay for the succesful candidate(s) could fall anywhere within the stated range. Beyond base salary, General Mills offers a competitive Total Rewards package focusing on your overall well-being. We are proud to offer a foundation of health benefits, retirement and financial wellbeing, time off programs, wellbeing support and perks. Benefits may vary by role, country, region, union status, and other employment status factors. You may also be eligible to participate in an annual incentive program. An incentive award, if any, depends on various factors, including, individual and organizational performance.