Pharmacy Intern - Outpatient
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:February 02, 2024
Department:70007908 Community Pharmacy Abbott Northwestern Heart Hospital
Shift:Day/Evening (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:0
Weekend Rotation:Every 3rd
Job Summary:Responsible for preparing, dispensing, and checking medications, obtaining medication histories, and ensuring effective flow of operations within the pharmacy. Interns work under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist. Provides assistance and support to the pharmacists and technicians in the clinical and distributive operations of the department.
Key Position Details:
Position is posted for an Outpatient Pharmacy Intern
Principle duties include the following
- Completes order entry of prescription orders - fills medication orders
- Performs any quality assurance steps except final check to ensure quick and accurate prescription delivery
- Evaluates appropriate medication dose, route, frequency and administration
- Interacts with pharmacy personnel and workflow systems to ensure safe, timely and cost effective administration of medications
- Provides clinical/information services to patient, medical staff and other healthcare professionals
- Reviews clinical data on patient profile for possible drug interactions and over/under utilization
-Monitors prescriptions to assure appropriateness for age (geriatric/adult/pediatric), allergies and therapeutic duplications
Pre-employment Drug Screen: This role requires that all external and internal applicants successfully pass a drug test before beginning work. A positive test result and/or refusal to submit to testing will result in disqualification of further employment consideration.
- Prepares, checks, and dispenses medications.
- Fills first doses and refill floor stock.
- May perform data entry, adjudication, filing, and selling prescription duties.
- May review clinical data on patient profile for clinical appropriateness.
- May perform first or second checks to ensure accuracy of data entry, clinical components, and filling process.
- Compounds and documents extemporaneous doses.
- Prepackages and documents solid and liquid dosage forms in unit dose and unit of use packaging.
- Audits automated dispensing cabinet medications.
- Fills automated dispensing cabinet medications, cart fill & stock outs.
- May compound and prepares IV admixtures and syringes.
- May admix chemotherapy bags and syringes.
- Performs medication distribution.
- Deliver medications, IVs and supplies as needed.
- Gathers medications that have been discontinued on the floor.
- Restocks medications used on crash carts and other emergency boxes/kits.
- Delivers medications into automated dispensing cabinets.
- May order, receive, unpack, and check incoming stock against invoice and put away.
- May assist the buyer and keep them informed of inventory needs.
- May perform inventory management process.
- Performs admission medication histories.
- Performs medication reconciliation interview with patient.
- Utilizes nursing home medication administration records to complete medication reconciliation.
- Accesses and applies information from electronic health record.
- Communicates with overseeing pharmacist regarding reconciliation and recommendations.
- May provide clinical/informational services to patients, medical staff, and other healthcare professional.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required functional competencies as listed on the job description, and High school diploma or GED preferred
- Completion of one year at an accredited College of Pharmacy preferred or
- Enrolled in an accredited school of pharmacy working towards a Pharmacist degree required or
- Foreign-trained pharmacist working towards state Pharmacist licensure required
- 0 to 2 years experience in Pharmacy preferred
- Pharmacy Intern Certification/Registration upon hire required or
- Pharmacy Intern Certification/Registration if registered Pharmacy Technician upon hire within 1 Year required
Lifting weight Up to 20 lbs. occasionally, Up to 10 lbs. frequently