Emergency Department Medical Technician
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:November 14, 2023
Department:38016500 Mercy Emergency Services
Shift:Permanent Evenings (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:16
Union Contract:SEIU-4-Mercy Service Workers
Weekend Rotation:Every Other
Job Summary:Within scope of medical certification, independently provides direct and indirect patient care. This includes, but not limited to phlebotomy, EKG, wound preparation, applying splints, obtaining specimen and the fitting and educating of durable medical equipment. Provides care to patients under the direction of the RN which may include assisting patients with grooming and hygiene needs and personal comfort. Participates in quality improvement activities.
Key Position Details:
Shift Time: 11-730p, 3-1130p or 5-1:30am
Every Other Weekend
- Within scope of position, independently performs patient care.
- This may include, but not limited to equipment set up and maintenance, phlebotomy, EKG, wound preparation, blood glucose monitoring, CPR, visual acuity exam, applying splints, obtaining specimen, education of durable medical equipment and fitting.
- Under the direction of the RN, provides patient care to include wound dressings, oxygen application, assisting with procedures, irrigations, restrain application, pressure dressing, transferring fall risk patients, pelvic exams, decontamination procedures, placement and removal of backboard and c-collar.
- Assists patient with grooming and hygiene needs, personal comfort and population specific needs of the individual.
- Plans and organizes for procedures.
- May handle medication for procedural set up, stocking and transport.
- May assist in rooming and transporting of patients.
- Contributes to an environment that is safe for patients, visitors and employees.
- Answers patient call lights.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Uses equipment following policies, procedures and manufacturer directions or standards.
- Reports hazards and/or potential work hazards.
- May participate in room and equipment cleaning and room turn over.
- May support administrative and training duties.
- May process physician orders.
- May order and stock supplies.
- May answer and screen phone calls.
- May serve as a preceptor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required functional competencies as listed on the job description, and High school diploma or GED preferred
- 1+ experience in acute health care setting preferred
- 1+ experience in basic arrhythmia and EKG interpretation preferred
- EMT, MDH, or NREMT certification upon hire or
- EMT, MDH, or NREMT within 6 months of hire if currently enrolled in an EMT education program or
- Certified Nursing Assistant Licensure is required
- BLS Tier 1 - Basic Life Support - Multisource required American Heart Association or Allina
- Regional Hospital Sites - Licensed EMT or Certified EMT or CNA preferred
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently