Health Unit Coordinator
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:November 13, 2023
Department:34003042 3900 3920 Critical Care
Shift:Day/Evening (United States of America)
Shift Length:8/12 combo shift
Hours Per Week:24
Weekend Rotation:Every 4th
Job Summary:Assists with coordination of care of patients in conjunction with the nursing staff, providers and the multidisciplinary team. In addition, assists with clerical duties including patient admissions, transfers, discharge and patient registration.
Key Position Details:
- .6 FTE (48 hours per two week schedule)
- Day/Evening 8 hour shifts during the week and 12 hour shifts during the weekends
- Every fourth weekend rotation (Fri, Sat, Sun)
- Performs clerical duties.
- Completes patient admission, transfer and discharge.
- Communicates patient care needs to nursing staff: patient requests for assistance in activities of daily living.
- Performs accurate and timely processing of physician orders.
- Utilizes proper resources to ensure accurate accommodation codes are entered and patient billing charges are entered correctly.
- Performs filings, mail and email distributions, copies, scanning and faxing functions per unit protocol.
- Facilitates exchange of information to appropriate personnel, department or outside agency.
- Enter patient and caregiver information into Electronic Medical Record system.
- May order, validate and store supplies and patient education materials.
- Assembles and organizes patient charts when applicable.
- Answers phone and call lights in a timely manner, forwarding calls or information to the appropriate staff.
- May need to print Release of Information (ROI) packet for discharge to nursing home or other facilities.
- May need to check unit keys and cards out to float staff and assure they are returned at the end of the shift.
- Patient Registration.
- Review and explain authorization forms with patient and obtain signatures if applicable.
- Direct patients to point of care.
- Schedules procedures/appointments as needed.
- May need to room patients.
- Other Duties may be applicable per unit needs.
- May need to help with facilitating the monitoring of telemetry.
- May be required to maintain a presence at the front desk for patient and family support and check-in.
- May support and train new and existing staff and students.
- May need to transport unopened containers of non-controlled medications from pneumatic tube station or pharmacy and give to the primary Registered Nurse (RN) or designated storage location.
- May need to present Medicare second notice of notification of identified patients for signature.
- May need to retrieve patient history and physical information.
- Contributes to an environment that is safe for patients, visitors and employees.
- Reports environmental risks or equipment malfunctions to supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required functional competencies as listed on the job description, and High school diploma or GED preferred
- 2 or more years of experience in a medical office or hospital setting preferred if not certified as a Health Unit Coordinator
- 2 or more years of experience with windows based applications and keyboarding skills preferred
- Health Unit Coordinator Graduate of a Technical Institute Health Unit Coordinator program preferred
- Medical Terminology preferred
Lifting weight Up to 20 lbs. occasionally, Up to 10 lbs. frequently