Respiratory Therapist | Nights
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:November 16, 2023
Department:34005300 Respiratory Therapy
Shift:Permanent Nights (United States of America)
Shift Length:12 hour shift
Hours Per Week:36
Union Contract:ADIT-2-United Residual Workers
Weekend Rotation:Every Other
Job Summary:Assesses, diagnoses and treats patients suffering from cardiopulmonary respiratory disorders. Under the direction of a physician, educates patients and staff regarding chronic and acute pulmonary disorders, provides consultative services to area hospitals/agencies, and provides technical and educational support to nurses regarding respiratory procedures.
At Allina Health, our respiratory therapists are dedicated educators and caregivers who empower patients to manage chronic lung diseases, instilling confidence for a better quality of life. You can be an integral part of an essential care team, ensuring optimal breathing from premature infants to the elderly, all driven by an unwavering commitment to respiratory well-being.
Key Position Details:
- Shift will be 7 pm - 7:30 am.
- Every other weekend rotation.
- Rotating holiday schedule.
- Shift differential available.
- Identifies opportunities to improve outcomes by utilization/recommendation of appropriate therapies or interventions.
- Applies knowledge of approved protocols and clinical indications for interventions and routinely applies protocols to progress patients appropriately.
- Communicates with the care team to ensure exchange of essential information.
- Demonstrates competency with operation and troubleshooting of equipment used for therapy.
- Provides for safe/effective management and monitoring of all forms of mechanical ventilation.
- Provides mechanical ventilator support safely and effectively to meet objectives identified by the provider and/or protocols.
- Demonstrates competency in operation and troubleshooting of ventilators.
- Identifies best mode of ventilation and opportunities to optimize patient-ventilator interface, and makes recommendations to provider as appropriate.
- Assess readiness to wean, recognizes failure to wean, and documents findings.
- Provides invasive and non-invasive ventilation, ventilation during transport, manual resuscitation by bag/valve device, weaning assessment, respiratory mechanics and waveform analysis, non-traditional modes and techniques.
- Manages airway appropriately to include positioning, securing, humidification selection and suctioning.
- Negotiates decisions within own scope of practice and in the best interest of the patient.
- Collaborates with nurses and providers to assure respiratory goals are not in conflict with other aspects of patient care.
- Provides disease management education to patients and families.
- Conducts diagnostic testing and analysis.
- Completes necessary tests to assist in the medical management of the patient.
- Demonstrates competency in technique and technology to meet standards.
- Possesses clinical knowledge of interpretation of results and acts accordingly.
- Complies with policy and procedure as well as processing of report.
- Other duties as assigned.
Basic Job Requirements
- Associate's or Vocational degree from an accredited Respiratory Care Program - Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
- Experience working in a critical care setting
- Licensed Respiratory Therapist - MN Board of Medical Practice or Licensed Respiratory Therapist - WI Department of Safety & Professional Services as required by location of employment
- BLS Tier 1 - Basic Life Support – Multisource
- PEARS - Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition & Stabilization - Multisource required at sites providing pediatric care within 180 Days
- PALS - Pediatric Advance Life Support - Multisource required at sites providing pediatric care within 180 Days
- NRP - Neonatal Resuscitation - Multisource required at sites providing neonatal care within 180 Days
- Credentialed by the National Board of Respiratory Care
Preferred Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from a CoARC accredited Respiratory Care Program
- 2 or more years as a Respiratory Therapist
- ACLS/BLS Tier 2-Advanced Cardiac Life Support - Multisource preferred within 180 Days
Medium Work*: Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently