Inpatient Pharmacy Technician
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:October 27, 2023
Shift:Day/Evening (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:40
Union Contract:SEIU-4-St Francis Service and Maintenance
Weekend Rotation:Every 3rd
Job Summary:Provides basic drug distribution and drug preparation services. Checks pharmaceutical stock to determine inventory level; preparing labels; calculating quantities; assembling intravenous solutions, including chemotherapy and other pharmaceutical therapies. Provides backup for the Pharmacy Buyer. The technician functions under the supervision of the pharmacist.
Key Position Details:
- Technician will routinely complete two of the following responsibilities:
- Prepare sterile parenteral products using barcode assisted technology while adhering to USP 797 and 800 requirements.
- Prepares chemotherapy using barcode assisted technology while adhering to USP 800 requirements.
- Controlled substance audit technician (less than 50% of time).
- Supports OR satellite pharmacist with drug dispensing and IV preparation for surgery patients.
- ADC assignment of medications.
- Pharmacy buyer backup.
- Manage and support automated drug distribution.
- Medication picking, delivery, and restocking to automated dispensing cabinets (ADC).
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning equipment.
- Delivers and restocks controlled substances.
- Assists with returns, waste, and reporting/resolution of discrepancies.
- Prepares medications.
- Prepares and select medications for distribution.
- Prepares oral extemporaneous products.
- Performs bulk compounding.
- Complete and document quality assurance activities.
- Monitors expiration dating.
- Performs cleaning.
- Reports discrepancies or inaccuracies to pharmacist or supervisor.
- Repackages and labels bulk medications or splits tablets into unit dose packaging.
- Creates labels using standard format.
- Fills and labels prepacking medications.
- Assigns expiration dates and maintains records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required functional competencies as listed on the job description, and High school diploma or GED preferred
- Vocational or Technical Training from an American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) accredited pharmacy technician training program preferred
- 0 to 2 years of healthcare experience preferred
- 0 to 2 years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician required
- Registered Pharmacy Technician - MN Board of Pharmacy required upon hire
- Certified Pharmacy Technician - Pharmacy Technician Certification Board required within 180 Days or
- Pharmacy Intern required
Lifting weight Up to 20 lbs. occasionally, Up to 10 lbs. frequently