Sterile Processing Technician
Number of Job Openings Available:5
Date Posted:September 29, 2023
Department:31008405 Central Processing
Shift:Permanent Evenings (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:40
Union Contract:SEIU-4-Abbott Northwestern Service Workers
Job Summary:Requires availability to weekend assignments. Weekend assignments occur as little as once every 2 months to maximum of every other weekend and is determined by department need.
Key Position Details:
- Weekend, holiday, and call requirements per department need.
- Day, evening, night shift requirements per department need.
- Benefit Eligible Position
- Demonstrates skill in preparation of surgical instruments
• Performs decontamination, assembly and sterilization of surgical instrumentation per department policy and procedures.
• Assures instruments are clean and free of foreign matter in preparation for
• Assembles instrument sets and trays accurately.
• Packages and labels items for correct sterilization method.
- Performs work following safety standards and protocols
• Follows infection control guidelines when working in decontamination.
• Demonstrates appropriate use of washers/disinfectors, ultrasonic machine, high level disinfection and other department equipment.
• Operates sterilizers safely, documenting loads according to standards.
• Processes and interprets biological controls and tests per guidelines, documenting for each procedure.
• Reports potentially unsafe situations and malfunctioning equipment to supervisor or Lead.
• Conducts quality assurance checks on all required equipment per department guidelines.
- Provides support for Case Carts, Sterile Core and other areas as assigned
• Pulls cases for next day, add-on and emergency procedures accurately.
• Completes the appropriate paperwork for compliant charging and billing of case.
• Follows tasks assignment list when working in the sterile core.
• Responds to urgent requests with accuracy and efficiency.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required principle competencies as listed on the job description
- High school diploma or GED
- Experience in Sterile Processing or Vocational/Technical training/education in Instrument Specialist, Central Supply, or Surgical Technology
- Must meet at least ONE of the requirements below:
◦ Certification from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) within 18 months of hire
◦ Certified Registered Central Service Tech (CRCST) Certification within 18 months of hire
Lifting weight Up to 50 lbs. occasionally, Up to 25 lbs. frequently