Nursing Assistant - Med Surg Float Pool
Number of Job Openings Available:10
Date Posted:August 29, 2023
Department:31003840 Med Surg Float Pool
Shift:Permanent Nights (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:32
Union Contract:SEIU-4-Abbott Northwestern Service Workers
Weekend Rotation:Every Other
Job Summary:Under the direct supervision of a RN, assists in the delivery of patient care. This includes performing personal care such as feeding, bathing, dressing, grooming, moving and transporting patients, or changing linens. Collects and documents vital signs and other observations of patients.
Key Position Details:
- Performs personal care/interventions as assigned.
- Completes interventions according to identified critical elements of each procedure.
- Answers patient call lights promptly for both assigned and other patients.
- Distributes and sets up water, snacks and patient trays and assists patients.
- Assists patient with grooming and hygiene needs, maintains skin integrity, personal comfort and population specific needs of the patient.
- Provides assistance with ambulation, transfer, positioning and range of motion (ROM) according to activity order and needs of the patient.
- Implements activities of fall prevention plan as specified in plan of care.
- Collects and saves specimens.
- Provides assistance to the RN for admission, transfer, discharge and post-mortem care.
- May transport medications excluding controlled substances within the site.
- Observes, collects and documents health status data as assigned.
- Completes measurements according to critical elements of policy/procedures, which may include: temperatures, radial pulses, blood pressures, respirations, weights, intake and output.
- Reports immediately to the RN observations/health status data that are not within normal limits for the patient or are significantly changed.
- Documents according to documentation guidelines.
- Contributes to an environment that is safe for patients, visitors and employees.
- Protects patient, self and others from injury during transfers, lifts and transports by using proper equipment and body mechanics.
- Reports environmental risks or equipment malfunctions to supervisor.
- Uses equipment following policies, procedures and manufacturer directions or standards.
- May handle hazardous waste (identifies, segregates, and disposes of hazardous waste; ensures container integrity; knows emergency response procedures to spills, fires, and evacuation procedures).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required functional competencies as listed on the job description, and High school diploma or GED preferred
- Must meet one of the following requirements:
◦ 6 months of nursing assistant experience OR
◦ Successful completion of Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program OR
◦ Completion of one semester of clinical rotations within an accredited nursing program
- Current certification in an American Heart Association BLS class, American Red Cross BLS class, or healthcare site BLS class, is required upon hire or approval by the Vice President/CNO to be enrolled in the first available course
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently