Senior Databricks Engineer
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
The Unified Data Platform capital project is looking for a highly energetic and seasoned Databricks Engineer with experience in data integrations, data conversions, big data technologies and data warehousing. The Databricks Engineer will need to span the end-to-end life cycle of data – design, execution, deployment and support. As such, this person needs broad experience in data and application architecture, design, and implementation planning, and needs to be able to execute end-to-end solutions in an agile framework and define best practices. Previous Utilities experience is desirable. 10+ years of data experience required, and 2+ years of Databricks experience. The role will be a mix of data architect, developer, and administrator. This role is highly collaborative, requiring engineer to work with multiple teams.
The Sr. IT Engineer is responsible for leading technical aspects of IT solution delivery, strategic planning, and operational excellence. They are responsible for managing the overall health of the technology ecosystem, and will manage and oversee design of solutions to meet business needs and support the overall IT Strategy. They provide technical guidance in partnership with Architecture and with cross-organizational input and in accordance with business unit objectives. They are a consultant to business managers, architecture, security and operations teams to drive cross-awareness of business needs and opportunities. They bring innovative solutions to the business line by leveraging their technical expertise. They identify and implement continuous improvement over cost, security, operation, and functionality of the solutions in their domain.
- Solution Delivery: Lead and support solution lifecycle technical activities. Ensure solutions are designed for great user experience and operational performance. Lead design, ensuring Enterprise Architecture, Security, Operations and Compliance aspects are continuously integrated into solutions. Provide input to cost and schedule estimation. Responsible for overall integrity of system design and operation. Oversee vendor activities.
- Relationship Management: Conduct peer reviews and approve system changes and technical solution design. Coach and mentor less experience team members. Partner cross-organizationally to drive minimal costs on optimal solutions. Provide in-depth technical information to stakeholders as needed.
- Strategy & Planning: Innovate through usage of industry emerging capabilities and evolving customer needs. Provide input to strategic roadmap and technical dependencies.
- Subject Matter Expertise: Continuously stay current on, and apply, technical industry knowledge pertaining to the respective domain
- Operations: Review solution performance, and continually assess health of systems. Track and drive awareness to operational and technical debt risks. Provide escalated support to incident and problem management. Utilize analytics to improve availability, reliability, efficiency and capacity. Oversee vendor activities.
- Ten years of related functional experience
- Bachelor's degree in Technology, Science, Business or related field, or 4 years of experience equivalent to the position.
- Excellent communication skills, effective with varying organizational levels and skill set, and able to translate between technical and non-technical concepts.
- Excellent Relationship Management and collaboration skills, with a track record of working as one team cross-organizationally to drive innovation and business results
- Expertise managing the lifecycle of technical solutions
- Deep Subject Matter Expertise within the respective system domain products, platforms, processes and architecture.
- Broad and deep knowledge of technology architecture, infrastructure, network, security and software principles and models
- Experience working in partnership with internal and external vendors.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Extensive knowledge of future technology trends within area of expertise.
- Demonstrated leadership on technical aspects of large scale projects.
- Experience coaching other developers in system deployment or operational troubleshooting.
- Experience with delivery methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, Scrum) and operational models (ITIL)
- Experience and understanding of core IT Service Management functions, such as Change Management and Incident Management
- Should be familiar with Data integrations, data modeling, data warehousing and bigdata technologies.
- Experience with Python and/or Spark in Databricks would be beneficial.
- Experience with QLIK and/or Fivetran ingestion tools would be beneficial.
- Experience with Terraform would be beneficial.
- Database administration of big data platform administration helpful.
- Strong facilitation, communication and collaborative skills.
- Exposure to Agile methodologies – member of SCRUM team would be a plus
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.Non-BargainingThe anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $103,000.00 to $146,332.33 per yearThis position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Pay and benefit packages may vary based on position. Some employees are under collective bargaining agreements, which determine the benefits they will receive. If the information conflicts with the terms of the written plan documents governing the plan, the plan document will control. Benefit plans are subject to change and Xcel Energy has the right to end, suspend, or amend any of its plans, at any time, in whole or in part.
Xcel Energy endeavors to make https://www.xcelenergy.com/ accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Xcel Energy Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.