India Foods Business is a full-service manufacturing and marketing unit comprising over 500 employees spread across over multiple locations across India. Our strong suite of products includes the Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, Haagen-Dazs and Nature Valley brands in both direct-to-consumer and B2B channels across Retail, Food Service and Bakeries & Exports. We combine the capabilities of a global enterprise with the entrepreneurial spirit and cultural awareness you would expect of a smaller local company.
POSITION TITLE : Operations Head, Nashik Plant – India Foods Business
REPORTS TO : Plant Manager, Nashik Plant – India Foods Business
LOCATION : Nashik
- THE COMPANY
About General Mills Worldwide
Headquartered in Minnesota, US, General Mills, with $18.1 billion in net sales (2021) and more than 36,000 employees worldwide, is in the top 10 largest food companies in the world. Named one of the ‘Top 100 Companies to Work For’ by Fortune Magazine, General Mills is a highly focused consumer foods company providing products that enhance nutrition, shorten preparation times, provide health benefits, enable on-the-go eating and, of course, taste great.
Our brands including Cheerios, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Häagen-Dazs, Yoplait, Old El Paso, Progresso, Totino’s, Annie’s and Small Plant Foods, in addition to strong local brands from around the world, and an emerging Bakeries & Foodservice business. General Mills is also partners in two international Joint Ventures – Cereal Partners Worldwide (with Nestle), and Haagen-Dazs Japan (with Suntory). Visit www.generalmills.com for more information on us.
India Foods Business Unit
General Mills has recently gone through a major reorganization, whereby EUAU & ASLA has been combined to work together as an international organization. International Operating model has been further simplified with four units, Europe & Australia, Global Emerging Markets (GEMS), Brazil & China. India, Hong Kong, Taiwan , South Korea & Distribution market are part of GEMS with contribution of $1billion in revenue.
Snacks Business Unit finds its presence in IMEA & NSEA markets with the portfolio consisting of Betty Crocker & Pillsbury range of retail cake mixes, ready to eat cookies and cakes, Nature Valley granola bars, Fruit snacks and Bugles.
To support the Snacks business in Asia, currently we have 3 General Mills owned manufacturing plants at Nashik – India, Anseong – Korea & Nanjing – China and several external supply chain partners manufacturing out products.
Nashik plant supports the following businesses:
- Retail cake mixes for India & International markets of South East Asia and South Africa.
- Bakeries business in India
- Food service chains with frozen tortilla capabilities
- Food Service chains with Frozen dough capabilities
- Ready to Easy snacks like Chocolava muffin cakes for India
- Frozen flat breads for exports out of India mainly meant for ethnic Indian diaspora
- THE ROLE
- Purpose of the Position
Operations Head is responsible for the entire operations of a manufacturing plant. This includes the management and coordination of daily activities to ensure high performance and production. Other duties include ensuring company policies and procedures are followed. He/She provides leadership to the plant at Nasik ensuring that plant meets its business objectives of production and cost as per plan while adhering to “Total Quality” with respect to people, products & processes
Operations Head is responsible for People Development:
Directly manage, mentor and coach the platforms leadership team in various areas including hiring, development, promotions, reviews, and coaching.
Monitor development and skill building of all platform employees
Team development for the platform leadership team to work together across their functional lines to achieve plant goals
- Key Responsibilities & Expectations
- To ensure implementation of policies and procedures in the manufacturing activities.
- Comply with all statutory requirements (DISH, MSEB, MPCB, MIDC, etc) & Safety policies and instigate work practices which results in a Safe & Healthy workplace.
- To maintain effective shop floor discipline and to achieve the best results from the available resources.
- To maintain machinery to ensure optimum availability, minimal downtime, maximum efficiency and maximum capacity utilization.
- To maintain the set quality standards in the Manufacturing department i.e. CGMP, HACCP & other quality requirements.
- To ensure that the manufacturing facility achieves its production targets as per rolling plan and dispatch schedules as per laid down quality specifications.
- To work upon major infrastructure projects like plant layout changes, installation of capital equipment’s, capacity & capability enhancement.
- To monitor & increase the productivity through continuous process improvements in the manufacturing area.
- To formulate & implement the preventive maintenance program and ensure any breakdowns are attended to promptly.
- To control and monitor manufacturing expenses, through the incorporation of systems and regular inspection.
- To formulate and update the manufacturing process documents, in consultation with the Plant Manager.
- To identify benchmarks for various manufacturing activities and implement steps and processes to take our processes to those benchmarks.
- Recruit Train, Develop and Evaluate Operations Staff from time to time.
- Administer all financial for Operations and prepare all required budgets and forecast same as per required budget.
- Strategize, direct, guide and supervise all employee relations activities to ensure healthy working environment
- Provide leadership through “total employee engagement” framework
- Maintain good Industrial Relations in the Plant
- Additional responsibilities
- To lead all internal & external audits at plant level
- Lead / participate in various cross functional projects related to plant
- Actively participate and contribute in developing, upgrading & implementing business processes
- Support plant manager, peers in General Mills Global / International with benchmarking information, networking or sharing of knowledge; develop network with peers, business team and division leaders
- Values and Leadership: This position deals with high degree of complexity coupled with high growth. It may involve some travel. The incumbent is expected to role model General Mills Values, by demonstrating Engaging Leader Behavior
Do the right thing all the time: Ensure all dealings are transparent and conducted with ethics & integrity. All contracts meet audit & risk requirements for life of contract.
Win Together: Deliver exceptional value for the customers and delivering on the commitments. Always putting consumer first.
Champion Belonging: Build open & trusting work relationships. Respecting & embracing differences and working across boundaries to get the best outcome for the company.
Continuously Innovate: Inspire people to be their best - not only at General Mills but also in our community. Building diverse teams and empowering them to make a difference.
Seek improvements in every area of the company. Quickly sense & respond to risks & opportunities. Take decisive actions on critical priorities.
The successful candidate will need to exhibit high standards of integrity and have a very strong core belief in “doing the right thing” and be resilient and persistent in ensuring that integrity is maintained at the highest level. The candidate also needs to act to address and resolve conflicts early and in an open and direct manner, communicate candidly with bosses, peers and employees. He or she should also be able to work effectively within teams and across businesses and functions and cultures. A high degree of emotional resilience will be essential.
- Candidate Profile
- Master’s degree or MBA in Operations discipline will be preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical from IIT/ NIT/ other premier Engineering colleges will be preferred
- 8 - 12 years of relevant work experience in Manufacturing Operations preferably in the FMCG, Beverages, Pharmaceuticals or other Consumer Goods industries.
- Must be comfortable working in a matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully implementing strategic partnership development, team building, performance management & change management for teams.
- Proven ability to implement significant change and lead innovation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, communication (both written and oral), presentation, influencing and conflict management apart from high emotional resilience.
- The incumbent must be able to develop a deep understanding of operating business units being supported and will need strong analytic skills.
- The individual should also have strong process orientation & implementation skills along with significant understanding of supporting disciplines.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to be understood in simple terms.
- Drive Employee Engagement and Enablement.
We exist to make food the world loves. But we do more than that. Our company is a place that prioritizes being a force for good, a place to expand learning, explore new perspectives and reimagine new possibilities, every day. We look for people who want to bring their best — bold thinkers with big hearts who challenge one other and grow together. Because becoming the undisputed leader in food means surrounding ourselves with people who are hungry for what’s next.