India is among the top ten priority markets for General Mills, and hosts our Global Shared Services Centre. This is the Global Shared Services arm of General Mills Inc., which supports its operations worldwide. With over 1,300 employees in Mumbai, the center has capabilities in the areas of Supply Chain, Finance, HR, Digital and Technology, Sales Capabilities, Consumer Insights, ITQ (R&D & Quality), and Enterprise Business Services. Learning and capacity-building is a key ingredient of our success.
Do you find that you see patterns or opportunities that others don’t see? Do you enjoying asking questions and analyzing data to deepen your knowledge? Do you like to challenge historical assumptions and recommend new ways to drive action based on data driven insights? Do you like to find the best way to tackle a problem and share the approach with others?
General Mills is seeking a Manager- Data Science to join the Data Science and Analytic Engineering team (DSAS) as part of Enterprise Data Capabilities Organization. The role is a technical manager role tasked to manage, mentor and lead the data scientists to ensure we deliver to our DnT priorities. The Data Science team works to build analytical solutions that are of value to various business, are enterprise level and scalable. This team provides data science expertise and services to advance initiatives around demand forecasting, Integrated Planning, Operational analytics, Finance forecasts and committed to advance the analytical capability. It is also responsible for curating a community of practice to determine the best standards and practices around data science at General Mills.
70% of Time
In this role you will:
• Supervises data scientists (typically intermediate or lower level)
• Sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results
• Sets day-to-day operational objectives for team
• Ensures to work in collaboration with the team to meet the business objectives.
• Guides the team to identify solutions that meet the success criteria.
• Problems faced may be difficult but typically are not complex
• Ensures policies, practices and procedures are understood and followed by direct reports, business partners and stakeholders
• Scope: Small to mid-sized business unit or department
20% of Time
• Interacts with stakeholders in regular cadence to have a better insight and better management.
• Networks with analytic and data teams globally.
• Collaborated with analytic leaders across functions
• Coach on best practices / model implemented with other team members
• Supports the recruitment, retention and grow talent
• Leads site-wide initiatives as well
10% Of Time
• Lead research work to new analytic trends aligned to business
• Participate in analytic initiatives
• Impart knowledge to the team
Minimum Degree Requirements:
Preferred Degree Requirements:
Preferred Major Area of Study:
Computer Information / Computer Science
Required Professional Certifications:
Preferred Professional Certifications:
Data Science / Mathematics / Statistics
Minimum years of related experience required:
8 yr (inclusive of stats/maths + ML) with 2yrs management
Preferred years of related experience:
Overall Industry experience
Specific Job Experience or Skills Needed
✓ Brings to the table a breadth of expertise outside of his/her core DnT specialty
✓ Builds the expertise of others through coaching and mentoring
✓ Encourages his/her group to continuously expand their knowledge base
✓ Orchestrates value-added solutions by integrating subject matter expertise across DnT
✓ Takes action to bring missing but needed expertise into DnT by monitoring technology and industry trends
✓ Leads transformational projects that creates differential value
✓ May supervise a team consisting of professionals. Leads, directs and reviews the work of team members in order to accomplish operational plans and results.
✓ Provides primary input to hiring, firing, promotion, performance and rewards decisions for direct reports.
✓ Data Analysis / Data Intuition
✓ Statistics / Machine Learning
✓ NLP / Optimization
✓ Data Engineering / Feature Engineering
✓ Visualization / Story Telling
✓ Security / Ethics / Governance
✓ Version Control / CI-CD
✓ Cloud / Distributed Computing
Competencies/Behaviors required for job
✓ Expert on data across more than 1 domain (ex. SRM and Marketing)
✓ Aware of experts in other domains
✓ Create stories
✓ Manage backlog
✓ Create & Manage Feature Roadmap
✓ Demonstrates learning agility and ability to apply to work
✓ Leverage and contribute to new open-source innovation
✓ Influence direction of external vendor products or open-source projects
We exist to make food the world loves. But we do more than that. Our company is a place that prioritizes being a force for good, a place to expand learning, explore new perspectives and reimagine new possibilities, every day. We look for people who want to bring their best — bold thinkers with big hearts who challenge one other and grow together. Because becoming the undisputed leader in food means surrounding ourselves with people who are hungry for what’s next.