AVP & In-House Counsel (Employment Law)
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
CompanyFederal Reserve Bank of PhiladelphiaThe Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia is one of the 12 regional Reserve Banks that, together with the Board of Governors in Washington, D.C., make up the Federal Reserve System. It helps formulate and implement monetary policy, supervises banks and bank and savings and loan holding companies, and provides financial services to depository institutions and the federal government. The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia serves eastern and central Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia seeks an Assistant Vice President, In-House Counsel (Employment Law). You will provide legal analysis and advice, perform legal research, and alone or together with outside counsel, prepare and files legal pleadings and documents, and handles litigation, mediations and agency hearings related to employment matters. You will work closely with Human Resources to draft and review policies and to provide training on compliance. You will perform highly complex tasks, working within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge in the area of employment law. You will report directly to the General Counsel.
The job description below reflects the higher level of a dual grade job posting. Candidates who possess a slightly lower level of experience, education, or qualifications may also be considered.
What You Will Do:
- Provide legal advice to internal clients regarding full range of employment law issues including hiring, discipline, terminations, compensation, and benefits
- Defend, supervise, and manage employment-related claims and litigation related to employee discrimination, and wage and other claims
- Monitor legislation affecting employment matters
- Manage outside counsel concerning employee immigration matters and workers’ compensation claims
- Lead or assist with internal investigations
- Draft separation agreements and other employment documentation
- Provide input and advice on drafting policies and procedures and training of staff on Bank policies
- Provide legal advice and support to Law Enforcement Department
- Manage the Bank’s insurance program and third-party claims
- Actively participate in additional duties to support the General Counsel as assigned
What You Have:
- Juris Doctorate from accredited law school
- Member in good standing of Pennsylvania bar
- Minimum of 10 years specialized employment experience with a law firm and/or as in-house counsel strongly preferred
- Expert knowledge of state and federal employment and wage and hour laws including FMLA, ADA, ADEA, FLSA
- Experience with discrimination, termination, retaliation, and harassment claims and litigation and administrative actions
- Experience with immigration issues preferred
- Excellent research and writing skills with experience drafting legal documents
- Experience drafting and interpreting employment policies and procedures
- Experience counseling and training all levels within an organization on employment matters
- Experience working with Human Resources departments on employment law matters
- Advanced analytical, communication, drafting, and negotiating skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task, prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of tax laws and/or experience with Law Enforcement preferred
The salary range for this position is: $162,700 - $228,000.
We offer a great benefits package that features:
- Medical (4 options), Prescription, Dental (3 options), and Vision Insurance with no waiting period
- 401k/Thrift Plan with generous employer match
- Employer-funded Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation/Sick Time & Holidays
- Monthly $100 Commuter Allowance
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Healthcare Spending Accounts
- Flexible Work Schedule available in most departments
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement (undergraduate and graduate)
- Parental Leave
- Free onsite 24/7 Fitness Center including training classes, Peloton bikes and locker room / shower facilities
- Free onsite garage parking
- Onsite Cafeteria & Coffee Shop
- Additional Convenience Benefits, Discounts and More…
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our employees is essential to our success as an organization, and we want to recruit, develop and retain the most accomplished people from a diverse candidate pool. To support a workplace culture of belonging, we offer eight employee resource groups (ERGs) and a 100 percent rating on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equality Index. The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- We have eight employee resource groups (ERGs) to support a diverse workforce. Abilities (supporting disabilities and allies), African Heritage, Asian-Pacific, Freedom (supporting LQBTQ+ and allies), Talent Forward (supporting career growth), Women United, Working Families and Veterans. ERGs are open to all employees.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job responsibilities, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
- All Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia employees must comply with the Bank's ethics rules, which generally prohibit employees, their spouses/domestic partners, and minor children from owning securities, such as stock, of banks or savings associations or their affiliates, such as bank holding companies and savings and loan holding companies. If you or your spouse/domestic partner or minor child own such securities and would not be willing or able to divest them if you accepted an offer of Bank employment, you should raise this issue with the Recruiter for this posting, who can provide you contact information for our ethics officer if necessary. You should review the Bank's Employee Code of Conduct to ensure compliance with conflict of interest rules and personal investment restrictions.
- Background investigations and drug testing are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Candidates for positions deemed as "safety sensitive" will also be screened for the presence of marijuana. Employment may not begin until the Bank accepts the results of the background investigation.
- All employees will be subject to FBI fingerprint / criminal background and Patriot Act/ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) watch list checks at least once every five years.
- Certain eligibility rules apply. You will provide work authorization to prove their eligibility to work in the United States.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature, level of work and the requirements of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with this position or the personnel so classified. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of this position, management reserves the right to revise this or any job description at its discretion at any time.
- This is not a 100% remote opportunity. You will be available to work on-site in at least a hybrid capacity at least two days per week.
- Learn more about the Philly Fed and its culture. Learn more about working for the Philly Fed.
Full Time / Part TimeFull time
Regular / TemporaryRegular
Job Exempt (Yes / No)Yes
Work ShiftFirst (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.