Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
CompanyFederal Reserve Bank of San FranciscoDescription Summary:
Title: Economist/Sr. Economist
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: San Francisco, California, UNITED STATES
E -- Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
G -- Financial Economics
The Research Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco is looking to hire experienced or new Ph.D. economists in the areas of Macroeconomics, Monetary Economics, or Financial Economics. For all candidates, solid research achievement and potential are essential. All economists are expected to publish in top academic journals and be able to prepare high-level analysis for Bank policy briefings and publications. Excellent communication skills are required.
The Department provides an outstanding research environment and has a proven track record of producing highly cited work. Salary and benefits are competitive. Information about the Research Department may be found at: https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/.
- Conducts independent and original research on economic issues.
- Conveys the results externally to the academic community and general public through published articles and presentations and internally to the Research Department, Bank President, and Boards of Directors.
- Provides commentary and recommendations on current economic developments and policy issues to senior management and others.
- Works with and mentors Research Associates.
- Economist level: PhD in Economics or Finance.
- Sr. Economist level typically requires four or more years of professional experience, in addition to PhD in Economics or Finance.
- This position requires access to confidential FOMC and or/supervisory information, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and U.S. permanent residents who either are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization or who have applied for naturalization within the requisite timeframe. Candidates who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents may be eligible for the information access required for this position if they sign a declaration of intent to become a U.S. citizen and lawful permanent resident and meet other eligibility requirements, including NOT being a citizen of a restricted country. The Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls maintains a list of current restricted countries at: https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/ddtc_public?id=ddtc_public_portal_country_landing. If you are a citizen of a Restricted Country, and you also hold citizenship from a country not on the Restricted Country list, this may help you meet this eligibility requirement.
Base Salary Range – Economist: Min: Min: $147,100 Mid: $191,000 Max: $234,900 (Location: San Francisco)
Base Salary Range – Sr. Economist: Min: $167,600 Mid: $217,500 Max: $267,600 (Location: San Francisco)
Final salary and offer will be determined by the applicant’s background, experience, skills, internal equity, and alignment with geographic and other market data.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
Apply via this job posting and complete the application. IN ADDITION, please complete your full application through EconJobMarket athttps://econjobmarket.org/positions/9738. Complete applications must include a cover letter, CV, and at least one research paper. Candidates with experience should provide a list of references, while new PhDs should have three reference letters.
The application deadline is November 17, 2023. The Research Department plans to hold interviews virtually by early December.
At the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, we offer a wonderful benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Pretax Flexible Spending Account, Paid Family Leave Care, Backup Child Care Program, Pretax Day Care Flexible Spending Account, Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Pet Insurance, Matching 401(k), and an unheard-of Retirement / Pension.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
At the SF Fed, we believe in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the communities we serve. The SF Fed is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full Time / Part TimeFull time
Regular / TemporaryRegular
Job Exempt (Yes / No)Yes
Work ShiftFirst (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.