Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
CompanyFederal Reserve Bank of St. LouisWe, the FRED Team of the Economic Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, are looking for you, an excellent Data Engineer.
A little about us: The Economic Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis is known as one of the top economic research institutions in the world. FRED is known as one of the largest and most popular economic data services in the world; it is free to the public and receives millions of visits each year. FRED’s mission to provide access to data, educate the public, and partner with data providers is an integral part of the mission of the Economic Research Division and the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
A little about you: As a Data Engineer on the FRED Agile team, you lead the work with other data engineers, web developers, and subject matter experts. You will lead the work of writing production-ready Python code to support the data and metadata pipelines for existing and new data published through FRED and family, which includes the main FRED database, and other web applications such as archival ALFRED. You will contribute to ensuring that the data and metadata in FRED and family are up-to-date, accurate, and accessible.
- Design, implement, and maintain databases and interfaces for interacting with databases;
- Identify data sources, construct data decomposition diagrams, provide data flow diagrams, and document the process;
- Write Python code for database access, modifications, and constructions, including stored procedures; and provide backup production support as needed.
- Determine requirements through discussions with team members, business owners, and other stakeholders;
- Validate data and making mass modifications to the data;
- Build tools with analytics capabilities embedded to move to a more automated system;
- Collaborate with team and lead the team to ensure appropriate implementation of functional requirements;
- Coordinate testing and project activities with and between team members, business owners, and other stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Database Administration, Economics, Finance, or a closely related field or commensurate experience
- 4+ years of relevant experience writing production-ready Python code, including use of Pandas
- Experience with UNIX / Linux operating systems.
- Experience working with economic data and information
- Can meet commitments and deliver quality work in a fast-paced environment and combination of the following:
- Experience with PostgreSQL, writing production-ready SQL code
- Experience with ETL (extract, transform, load) processes
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) such as lambdas, step functions, ECR, ECS, SNS, and event bridge.
- Experience with Docker or containerized application development
- Experience with Git or other version control
- Experience writing production-ready Terraform code
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Candidates with less experience may be considered at a lower job grade or salary.
Bring your passion and expertise, and we'll provide the opportunities to challenge you and propel your growth—along with many benefits and perks that support your health, wealth, and life.
Salary: $95,000 - $110,000
In addition to great compensation package, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that all brought together in a flexible schedule where you can find balance:
- Paid time off
- Tuition & Training assistance/reimbursement
- 401(k) match & Annuity/Pension fund
- Top-notch health care benefits
- Child and family care leave
- Professional development opportunities
- And more...
Ranked as the #2 Top Workplace in the St. Louis Region in 2020, the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis is committed to building an inclusive workplace, where employees' diversity—in age, gender, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, and cultural traditions, religion, life experiences, education and socioeconomic backgrounds—are recognized as a strength. Learn more about the Bank and its culture; check out our Careers Site.
The Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full Time / Part TimeFull time
Regular / TemporaryRegular
Job Exempt (Yes / No)Yes
Job CategoryInformation Technology
Work ShiftFirst (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.