Respiratory Therapist | Day-Evening
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:January 03, 2024
Department:31086500 WestHealth Emergency Department
Shift:Day/Evening (United States of America)
Shift Length:12 hour shift
Hours Per Week:36
Weekend Rotation:Every 3rd
Job Summary:Assesses, diagnoses and treats patients suffering from cardiopulmonary respiratory disorders. Under the direction of a physician, educates patients and staff regarding chronic and acute pulmonary disorders, provides consultative services to area hospitals/agencies, and provides technical and educational support to nurses regarding respiratory procedures.
Key Position Details:
- .9 (72 hours per 2-week schedule)
- 7am-7pm Shifts
- Every 3rd Weekend
- Block Schedule
- Rotating Holidays
- Identifies opportunities to improve outcomes by utilization/recommendation of appropriate therapies or interventions.
- Applies knowledge of approved protocols and clinical indications for interventions and routinely applies protocols to progress patients appropriately.
- Communicates with the care team to ensure exchange of essential information.
- Demonstrates competency with operation and troubleshooting of equipment used for therapy.
- Provides for safe/effective management and monitoring of all forms of mechanical ventilation.
- Provides mechanical ventilator support safely and effectively to meet objectives identified by the provider and/or protocols.
- Demonstrates competency in operation and troubleshooting of ventilators.
- Identifies best mode of ventilation and opportunities to optimize patient-ventilator interface, and makes recommendations to provider as appropriate.
- Assess readiness to wean, recognizes failure to wean, and documents findings.
- Provides invasive and non-invasive ventilation, ventilation during transport, manual resuscitation by bag/valve device, weaning assessment, respiratory mechanics and waveform analysis, non-traditional modes and techniques.
- Manages airway appropriately to include positioning, securing, humidification selection and suctioning.
- Negotiates decisions within own scope of practice and in the best interest of the patient.
- Collaborates with nurses and providers to assure respiratory goals are not in conflict with other aspects of patient care.
- Provides disease management education to patients and families.
- Conducts diagnostic testing and analysis.
- Completes necessary tests to assist in the medical management of the patient.
- Demonstrates competency in technique and technology to meet standards.
- Possesses clinical knowledge of interpretation of results and acts accordingly.
- Complies with policy and procedure as well as processing of report.
- Other duties as assigned.
Basic Job Requirements
- Associate's or Vocational degree from an accredited Respiratory Care Program - Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
- Experience working in a critical care setting
- Licensed Respiratory Therapist - MN Board of Medical Practice or Licensed Respiratory Therapist - WI Department of Safety & Professional Services as required by location of employment
- BLS Tier 1 - Basic Life Support – Multisource
- PEARS - Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition & Stabilization - Multisource required at sites providing pediatric care within 180 Days
- PALS - Pediatric Advance Life Support - Multisource required at sites providing pediatric care within 180 Days
- NRP - Neonatal Resuscitation - Multisource required at sites providing neonatal care within 180 Days
- Credentialed by the National Board of Respiratory Care
Preferred Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from a CoARC accredited Respiratory Care Program
- 2 or more years as a Respiratory Therapist
- ACLS/BLS Tier 2-Advanced Cardiac Life Support - Multisource preferred within 180 Days
Medium Work*: Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently