Surgical Oncology- Department Head
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:December 22, 2023
Department:31002915 AHCI PBC Minneapolis
Shift:Day/Evening/Night (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:40
Job Summary:Based in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, Allina Health is a not for profit 503(c) organization, with 90+ clinics, 10 hospitals/13 campuses throughout the region including western Wisconsin. Allina Health operates in one of the nation’s most vibrant, livable areas; a place where you can build the career you want—and you and your family can be part of thriving community.
Allina Health is embarking on a transformational initiative to improve care for the 17,000 people diagnosed with cancer each year in the Twin Cities. The vision for the Allina Health Cancer Institute centers on value creation through coordination of the full continuum of oncology – from prevention/ detection through treatment and survivorship. The Institute is unique in the region and empowered to direct substantial investments in cancer facilities, physician recruitment, clinical and research programs, and strategic partnerships. Importantly, the Institute oversees cancer care across the entire health system, ensuring that consistently exceptional outcomes are delivered in any setting where patients access cancer care. This model – tested and refined nationally at other large “hybrid” cancer programs –provides high-quality cancer care close to home.
The Allina Health Cancer Institute is being built upon the outstanding foundation of Allina’s current cancer program, widely recognized for its clinical expertise, care coordination, and compassionate approach to care. Some of the program’s strengths include:
• >50,000 cancer patients cared for annually, including 6,000 new cases each year
• #1 in inpatient cancer surgery in the Twin Cities - a product of Allina’s cancer surgical oncology practice.
• #1 breast cancer program in the Twin Cities, caring for 1,400 newly diagnosed patients each year.
• Over 20 oncology nurse navigators supporting patients and families throughout their cancer journeys.
• 9 locations throughout Minnesota and Western Wisconsin.
Key Position Details:
The Allina Health Cancer Institute (AHCI) is seeking a Department Head of Surgical Oncology to join our growing practice in the Twin Cities.
- Our department of Surgical Oncology is comprised of Surgical oncology, Thoracic oncology, Urologic oncology and Hepatobiliary divisions and oversees the programs across the system.
- We currently have 5 fellowship trained surgical oncologists from programs around the country, as well as a urologic oncologist, two thoracic oncologists, and a fellowship trained HPB surgeon.
- The department head position in AHCI is a leadership position with administrative oversight of physicians and advanced practice providers.
- The department head position reports to the President, AHCI.
- Role includes clinical and administrative work.
- Position will be located at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis. MN. Abbott Northwestern Hospital is a nationally recognized, award-winning hospital.
- World-class, integrative oncology program
- Weekly multi-disciplinary Tumor Boards
- Extensive high-risk cancer surveillance programming
- Accredited by ACS, CoC, NAPBC, and APEx in support of oncology quality, excellence, and stewardship
- An in-house genomic laboratory
- Access to cooperative group and early phase industry clinical trials
- Excellian (EPIC) is one of the most comprehensive electronic health record (EHR) systems in the nation
Individuals in this role will function as direct supervisors of all members of their department including the following responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with administrative leadership on finance, operations and strategy of AHCI
- Provide oversight of quality of clinical care.
- Oversee and coordinate the work assignments, distribution and on call allocation.
- Attend administrative meetings and staff meetings of AHCI as required.
- Participate as the lead physician role in formulation of policies and standards of practice in AHCI.
- Work collaboratively to resolve matters regarding investigations and disciplinary actions.
- Serve as a mentor to guide career development of providers.
- Recruiting and onboarding of new providers (physicians and APPs)
Direct Patient Care:
- Works collaboratively with patients to improve their health and well-being.
- Practices in a thoughtful manner including consideration for cultural diversity, individual autonomy and legal responsibilities.
- Actively participates in multidisciplinary team approach to case management.
- May participate in peer review and quality assurance.
- Utilizes quality improvement tools to develop processes that promote continuous improvement in delivery of patient care, patient outcomes, or work flows.
MD, DO, or foreign equivalency training required.
Completion of an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) accredited residency training program in General Surgery required.
Graduate of an accredited ACGME Surgical Oncology fellowship training program required.
Board certification required.
Minimum of 5 years of experience required.
Leadership experience required.
Active, non-restricted medical license in MN (or ability to obtain)
Ability to obtain and/or maintain MN DEA certification and National Provider Identifier (NPI).
Ability to meet criteria/qualifications for credentialing and hospital privileges.
BLS required within 180 Days of hire.
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently