Patient Care Technician- Float Pool
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:November 27, 2023
Department:34013820 Staffing Office and Float
Shift:Day/Evening (United States of America)
Shift Length:12 hour shift
Hours Per Week:24
Union Contract:SEIU-4-Regina Service Workers
Weekend Rotation:Every 3rd
Job Summary:Allina Health is a not-for-profit health system that cares for individuals, families and communities throughout Minnesota and western Wisconsin. If you value putting patients first, consider a career at Allina Health. Our mission is to provide exceptional care as we prevent illness, restore health and provide comfort to all who entrust us with their care. This includes you and your loved ones. We are committed to providing whole person care, investing in your well-being, and enriching your career.
Key Position Details:
- This position will float to Med/Surg, Mental Health and the Emergency Department.
- 0.60 FTE; Day/Evening shifts; 12-hour shifts (7:00am-7:00pm); Every 3rd weekend to include Friday-Sunday.
Under direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or Physician, the Patient Care Technician provides basic direct and indirect patient care. This includes taking and documenting vital signs, answering call lights, assisting patients with activities such as daily living and transfers and other clerical duties.
- Observes, collects, and documents health status data as assigned.
- Completes measurements according to critical elements of policy/procedures, which may include: temperatures, radial pulses, blood pressures, respirations, weights, intake and output.
- Reports immediately to the RN observations/health status data that are not within normal limits for the patient or are significantly changed.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living (ADL) which could include toileting, bathing, dressing, eating etc. with direction from the Registered Nurse.
- Documents according to documentation guidelines.
- Performs personal care/interventions as assigned.
- Assist patients, family members and visitors with way finding on the unit and throughout the facility. May assist with patient transfer, movement and/or rooming.
- Completes interventions according to identified critical elements of each procedure.
- Answers patient call lights promptly for both assigned and other patients.
- Assists patient with grooming and hygiene needs, maintains skin integrity, personal comfort and population specific needs of the patient.
- Completes admission/discharge/transfer functions per system workflow.
- Performs clerical duties and assists with patient registration.
- Performs accurate and timely processing of physician orders.
- Thoroughly document relevant patient information (or care) to assure accurate billing.
- Transport medication from the tube system on the unit to secure location in accordance with facility standards.
- Clarifies, communicates, prioritizes, and transcribes written orders per Electronic Medical Record system workflow.
- May order, validate and store supplies and patient education materials.
- May need to print Release of Information (ROI) packet for discharge to nursing home or other facilities.
- Review and explain authorization forms with patient and obtain signatures if applicable.
- Schedules procedures/appointments as needed.
- Contributes to an environment that is safe for patients, visitors and employees.
- Protects patient, self and others from injury during transfers, lifts and transports by using proper equipment and body mechanics.
- Reports environmental risks or equipment malfunctions to supervisor.
- Uses equipment following policies, procedures and manufacturer directions or standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to evaluate and improve patient care.
- May handle hazardous waste (identifies, segregates, and disposes of hazardous waste; ensures container integrity; knows emergency response procedures to spills, fires, and evacuation procedures).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required principle competencies as listed on the job description
- Must meet one of the following requirements:
◦ One year of nursing assistant experience
◦ Completion of one semester of clinical rotations with an accredited nursing
◦ Emergency Medical Tech (EMT) Licensed with the Emergency Medical Services in MN
- High school diploma or GED
- Associate's or Vocational degree OR one to two years post secondary education in a health related field
- Must meet at least ONE of the requirements below:
◦ Current BLS certification from the American Heart Association
◦ Current BLS certification from the American Red Cross
◦ Allina in-house BLS training (within 30 days of hire)
- Health Unit Coordinator Certification preferred
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently