Cardiovascular Care Technician
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:November 21, 2023
Department:31005017 AHMHI Clinic Support MPLS
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:40
Job Summary:As part of the CV care team, the Cardiovascular Care Technician participates with the physician, advanced practice providers, and nurses in delivering timely, quality care and services to patients in the cardiovascular clinic setting.
Key Position Details:
- Allina Health Minneapolis Heart Institute
- 1.0 (40 hours)
- Varied shifts: 7:30 a- 4:00 p, 8:30 a- 5:00 p; 9:00 a- 5:30 p
- Completes patient rooming.
- Rooms patients, gathering all necessary information from the patient and documents in record
- Documents the chief complaint/reason for visit
- Accurately and thoroughly reviews patient’s current medication and updates medication list
- Ensures all allergies are documented
- Communicates with physician about the patient reason for visit and any concerns
- Facilitates and participates in the continuum of patient cardiovascular care in partnership with physicians and nurses.
- Provides instructions to patients regarding diagnostic testing and/or lifestyle modification instructions and coaching to patients
- Assists with program development and initiatives
- Educates/instructs patient and families on cardiovascular related issues, including exercise prescriptions, heathy lifestyle habits, and preventative care indulging age specific and cultural considerations
- Assists with Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP) Therapy.
- Performs EECP under direction of RN/MD. Monitors/Evaluates ECG waveforms including determining T-waves and proper EECP timing
- Monitors pressure waveforms including identification of systole and diastole and timing to the ECG waveform during treatment
- Identifies precautions and contradictions in high risk patients; daily vitals including blood pressure, weight, symptoms, and seeking proper attention from a physician or RN, ECG rhythm and pulse
- Recognizes precautions and contradictions and seeking proper attention from a physician or RN; follow up on MD/RN recommendations
- Maintains detailed daily logs of treatment sessions and symptoms; schedules follow up visits and assists with collection of research based questionnaires (pre and post)
- Provides detailed orientation of EECP therapy for patients and their families; describing the procedure and its physiological effects; availability as a resource for potential patients
- Keeps area clean & stocked as needed. Request supplies
- Preloads charts
- Completes visit preparation – obtaining necessary documentation, records prior to the patient’s visit.
- Works collaboratively with outside organizations to obtain patient records
- Scans records following HIM processes and protocols
- Cardiac diagnostic testing.
- Possesses basic understanding of cardiac diagnostic testing and procedures
- Able to differentiate between stress tests; able to provide basic to advanced information and instructions to patients
- Explains diagnostic test to patient and provides instructions as needed
- Performs 12-lead EKG testing as requested or ordered.
- Places leads on patient
- Troubleshoots equipment problems
- Identifies and instructed with age specific and cultural considerations
- Obtains MD signature
- Documents charges
- Maintains clinic environment.
- Checks crash cart daily & complete log sheet making sure that equipment is operational, lock secure & outdates are within spec
- Checks blood glucose monitor daily
- Ensures all clinical areas are stocked with necessary supplies.
- Check equipment to ensure working order.
- Ensures all areas of the clinic are properly cleaned at the end of the day or as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School or GED required
- Degree in Exercise Physiology required
- Completion of EKG identification course required
- Medical terminology within 6 months of hire required
- Formal training as EMT, Cardiology Technician, EKG Tech, etc. preferred
- 6 months in direct patient care required
- 2 to 5 years in direct patient care in a cardiovascular setting preferred
- BLS Tier 1 - Basic Life Support - Allina Health required within 180 Days
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently