Patient Care Supervisor Emergency Department
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:November 10, 2023
Department:34006500 Emergency Room
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:40
Job Summary:Working in the Emergency Room you will find satisfaction in making a meaningful difference in critical and urgent situations at this high-level 3 trauma unit. The team consists of a group of highly engaged problem solvers that work seamlessly to provide care to our community. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and would like to help lead the highest quality of care, this position is ideal for you!
Functions as a supervisor in the clinical setting, as a resource, educational support, communication liaison, and role model of professional nursing practice. Assists the Patient Care Manager (PCM) in the responsibility for day-to-day operations and clinical coordination of the unit. Participates in planning, implementing, coordinating and evaluating patient care activities, staff education, and management activities as delegated by the Patient Care Manager.
Key Position Details:
- Supervises and evaluates employee performance.
- Assists with recruitment and hiring for positions.
- Onboards, orients, and provides ongoing coaching, mentoring and support to staff. Models and teaches these skills to others.
- Manages staff assignments and productivity. Establishes clear expectations and deliverables.
- Supports charge nurse and staff to provide staff coverage based on unit census, patient acuity and unit activity, and the unit staffing plan.
- Conducts annual evaluations and necessary corrective action for assigned staff.
- Maintains open, effective communication with patient care manager (PCM) in regard to development and performance of unit personnel.
- Apprises and educates staff in new/changed regulations, policies and procedures, and compliance.
- Adheres to compliance regulations, population specific competencies and workplace safety procedures.
- Designs work processes and directs work performance to be compliant with all rules and regulations, accreditation standards and laws that apply.
- Demonstrates appropriate population-specific knowledge in the provision of care and/or in assisting patients, families and visitors.
- Models good safety habits by following safety rules; considers safety when making decisions, and schedules safety tasks into daily activities.
- Coordinates nursing care to patients congruent with unit philosophy, goals and patient care priorities.
- Assists the (PCM) in the development, implementation and evaluation of patient care delivery systems.
- Maintains clinical knowledge of patient population, delegates/supports patient care activities as needed above the scheduled staffing pattern.
- Supports the charge nurse to assure assignments are made considering patient acuity, staff competence and skill development.
- Establishes processes to assure equipment function, repair process, and routine maintenance on day-to-day basis.
- Acts as a role model for clinical professional practice as described in the Charter for Professional Nursing Practice.
- Assures optimal clinical outcomes through staff competency, orientation and education programs.
- Assists CNS, PCM in identification of staff learning needs and development of education and competency plans consistent with unit, service line, and organization priorities, coordinates implementation of unit-based education and assists in evaluation of outcomes.
- Collaborates with preceptors to coordinate unit-based orientation and preceptor programs, and assists in development of unit preceptors.
- Collaborates with preceptors to coordinate the orientation plan and schedule for each employee, based on a baseline individual learning needs assessment.
- Assists in coordination of students receiving clinical experience on unit.
- Continuously seeks quality improvement.
- Assists with ongoing quality improvement activities of the unit.
- Facilitates the integration of findings, action plans and follow-up of quality improvement activities into practice.
- Supports the use of quality and patient satisfaction data to improve care.
- Works collaboratively with unit councils, other departments and peers to identify and minimize barriers to providing coordinated excellent care
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing required or
- Associate's or Vocational degree in nursing, with related Bachelor's degree or active enrollment is a BSN/BAN program
- 3 to 7 years in inpatient hospital nursing required
- Licensed Registered Nurse - MN Board of Nursing required and
- BLS Tier 1 - Basic Life Support - Multisource required
- ACLS required for identified units per hiring manager
- Certification in clinical specialty preferred
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently