Lab Assistant - Day Shift
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:October 02, 2023
Department:31006314 ANW Lab - Phlebotomy
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:20
Union Contract:SEIU-4-LAB Service Workers
Weekend Rotation:Every Other
Job Summary:Performs laboratory functions such as waived testing, assisting with standard operating procedure and work flow development, and serving as a primary trainer providing daily oversight of new staff/students in work area. Serves as a preceptor or lead in one or more of the following work areas: laboratory reception/registration, specimen collection (i.e. venipuncture, capillary, cultures, and chain of custody); specimen processing, waived testing and supply ordering.
Key Position Details:
- This position will include working in the Emergency Department and performing iStat testing.
- Day shift hours are 5:30am - 2:00pm
- Every other weekend rotation
- Benefit eligible
- Performs routine laboratory procedures within established guidelines.
- Verifies patient identification.
- Identifies and uses appropriate collection method to obtain samples for testing (Venipuncture or capillary puncture).
- Collects sample, evaluates specimens acceptability, and labels specimen.
- Accurate and timely processing of specimens.
- Performs specimen processing with strict adherence to CAP, OSHA, COLA, and CLIA requirements.
- Trouble-shoots minor equipment issues.
- Stocks, rotates, and requests phlebotomy supplies on a regular basis to ensure proper availability.
- Performs customer service in lab reception.
- Greets patients, performs check-in process, and responds to questions and patient needs.
- Evaluates patient orders for completeness and follows up as needed.
- Schedules, orders, and releases patients in electronic medical record.
- Serves as a resource for complex patient orders.
- Maintains safety, education, and competency requirements.
- Assists in developing and validating standard operating procedures.
- Participates in the training of employees and students.
- Performs various clerical duties.
- Participates in departmental or system-wide meetings, projects or committees as assigned.
- May create staff desk assignment schedule, as directed.
- Performs proficiency testing as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Phlebotomy experience preferred
- Phlebotomy Certification upon hire preferred
Lifting weight Up to 20 lbs. occasionally, Up to 10 lbs. frequently