Patient Care Technician
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:September 29, 2023
Department:31004171 CK3700 Mental Health Child Adolescent
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:28
Union Contract:SEIU-4-Abbott Northwestern Service Workers
Weekend Rotation:Every Other
Job Summary:Under direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or Physician, the Patient Care Technician provides basic direct and indirect patient care. This includes taking and documenting vital signs, answering call lights, assisting patients with activities such as daily living and transfers and other clerical duties.
Key Position Details:
CK3700 Child/Adolescent Mental Health PCT
Straight Day shift
Every other weekend
- Observes, collects and documents health status data as assigned.
- Completes measurements according to critical elements of policy/procedures, which may include: temperatures, radial pulses, blood pressures, respirations, weights, intake and output.
- Reports immediately to the RN observations/health status data that are not within normal limits for the patient or are significantly changed.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living (ADL) which could include toileting, bathing, dressing, eating ect. with direction from the Registered Nurse.
- Documents according to documentation guidelines.
- Performs personal care/interventions as assigned.
- Assist patients, family members and visitors with way finding on the unit and throughout the facility.
- Completes interventions according to identified critical elements of each procedure.
- Answers patient call lights promptly for both assigned and other patients.
- Assists patient with grooming and hygiene needs, maintains skin integrity, personal comfort and population specific needs of the patient.
- Completes admission/discharge/transfer functions per system workflow.
- May assist with patient transfer or movement.
- Performs clerical duties and assists with patient registration.
- Performs accurate and timely processing of physician orders.
- Thoroughly document relevant patient information (or care) to assure accurate billing.
- Transport medication from the tube system on the unit to secure location in accordance with facility standards.
- Clarifies, communicates, prioritizes, and transcribes written orders per Electronic Medical Record system workflow.
- May order, validate and store supplies and patient education materials.
- May need to print Release of Information (ROI) packet for discharge to nursing home or other facilities.
- Review and explain authorization forms with patient and obtain signatures if applicable.
- Direct patients to point of care.
- Schedules procedures/appointments as needed.
- May need to room patients.
- Contributes to an environment that is safe for patients, visitors and employees.
- Protects patient, self and others from injury during transfers, lifts and transports by using proper equipment and body mechanics.
- Reports environmental risks or equipment malfunctions to supervisor.
- Uses equipment following policies, procedures and manufacturer directions or standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to evaluate and improve patient care.
- May handle hazardous waste (identifies, segregates, and disposes of hazardous waste; ensures container integrity; knows emergency response procedures to spills, fires, and evacuation procedures).
- Other Duties may be applicable per unit needs
- May need to help with facilitating the monitoring of telemetry.
- May assist with, specimen collection, casting, splint application, decontamination, restraint application, pelvic exams, spinal immobilization, two person urinary catheter insertion.
- May need to assist with code teams and respond to codes hospital wide.
- Maintain proper infection control standards.
- May need to assist with the cleaning of designated items, equipment and rooms in the department which may also include instrument handling, set up of sterile delivery tray.
- May need to assist with submitting birth information to MN Department of Health.
- Follows downtime drill procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age with education and/or experience needed to meet required functional competencies as listed on the job description, and High school diploma or GED preferred
- Associate's or Vocational degree one to two years post secondary education in a health related field preferred
- One (1) year of nursing assistant experience or current on the MN Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) registry or completion of one clinical rotation in nursing program required or
- Health Unit Coordinator experience or have completed vocational or internal training program or equivalent and related experience preferred
- BLS Tier 1 - Basic Life Support - Allina Health required within 30 Days and
- Certified Nursing Assistant - MN Nursing Assistant Registry required or completion of one clinical rotation in nursing program or one year of nursing assistant experience or
- Licensed Emergency Medical Tech - EMT - MN Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board required if working in MN
- Licensed Emergency Medical Tech - EMT - WI - Emergency Medical Services required if working in WI
- Health Unit Coordinator Certification preferred
- Medical Terminology preferred
Lifting weight Up to 32 lbs. occasionally (*Allina Safe Patient Moving Policy), Up to 25 lbs. frequently