Lab Assistant - Float SEIU
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
Number of Job Openings Available:1
Date Posted:September 22, 2023
Department:72006314 Ambulatory Lab Central Hub
Shift:Day/Evening (United States of America)
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Hours Per Week:40
Union Contract:SEIU-6-Aspen Clerical and Technical
Job Summary:Performs laboratory functions such as waived testing, assisting with standard operating procedure and work flow development, and training of new staff. Supports one or more of the following work areas: laboratory reception/registration, specimen collection (i.e. venipuncture, capillary, cultures, and chain of custody); processing of specimens, and supply ordering.
Key Position Details:
- Schedule includes 8 hour shifts between the hours of 6:45am to 6pm, Monday through Friday.
- This position would include phlebotomy, processing, and waived testing.
- This is a float position that would float between the following Allina Health clinics: Bandana Square, Bloomington, East Lake Street, Highland Park, Inver Grove Heights, Maplewood, and Vadnais Heights.
Job Description:Principle Responsibilities
- Performs routine laboratory procedures within established guidelines.
- Verifies patient identification.
- Identifies and uses appropriate collection method to obtain samples for testing (venipuncture or capillary puncture).
- Collects sample, evaluates specimens acceptability, and labels specimen.
- May perform waived testing.
- Accurate and timely processing of specimens.
- Performs specimen processing with strict adherence to CAP, OSHA, COLA, and CLIA requirements.
- Trouble-shoots minor equipment issues.
- Stocks, rotates, and requests phlebotomy supplies on a regular basis to ensure proper availability.
- Performs customer service in lab reception.
- Greets patients, performs check-in process, and responds to questions and patient needs.
- Evaluates patient orders for completeness and follows up as needed.
- Schedules, orders, and releases patients in electronic medical record.
- Maintains safety, education, and competency requirements.
- Participates in the training of employees and students.
- Performs proficiency testing as assigned.
- Performs various clerical duties.
- Participates in departmental or system-wide meetings, projects, or committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School or GED required
- 2 to 5 years experience in phlebotomy preferred
- Phlebotomy Certification upon hire preferred
Lifting weight Up to 20 lbs. occasionally, Up to 10 lbs. frequently